Calla Lily

I was given a calla lily for a gift. I have hear that the can be planted out doors. I haven't been able to find and info on the how to do this. Does anyone have ay experience with this they would like to share? I live in Southwestern Idaho, incase climate matters for the lily plant. We have a long growing season, but it does freeze in the late fall.
il Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:15:10 -0600, "Jackee" ha scritto:

Is it edible?
--
Cheers,

planted
plant.
It is if you're a lily beetle.
il Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:30:18 +0100, "shazzbat" ha scritto:

LOL :-)
--
Cheers,

no, as a matter of fact it is poisonous, and survives outdoors only in Zone 8+. In Idaho, it is strictly a houseplant.
il 15 Apr 2004 20:05:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (simy1) ha scritto: [...]

Aha, so since it grows easily here outdoors with zero care we must be at least zone 8. The clues acrue... :-)
--
Cheers,
Loki wrote:

I think I tried one as a kid. <shudder>
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:15:10 -0600 in
the world with this thought:

For what it's worth, I have several outside in the ground--they come up like clockwork, as they have for the past 30 years, at least, but then, I live a little south of San Francisco as opposed to Idaho.
As far as I know, the rhizomes won't take freezing, but the plant itself is relatively hardy. Dig the bulbs up before winter if it snows around there and replant them after it thaws, what the hey.
Call a nursery, see what they say.
and don't eat it.
I believe that hardiness depends on the variety. I have a few dozen callas that a neighbor gave me over 10 years ago. She said she had grown them in successfully in Maine. I'm in PA, where winters are variable but always include extended periods of below freezing temperatures. The callas are always very late in emerging--after a tough winter, they may not come up until June--but they have bloomed reliably, and beautifully, for me each year. Unfortunately I don't know the variety name; they are pure white, and have foliage that's speckled with silver.
Callas I see listed in catalogues are never rated for my zone, and I think the newer hybrids with the colored flowers are especially cold sensitive. Probably not worth the risk of leaving it outdoors in Idaho if is has special meaning for you.
Cheers, Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlink.net
Zone 6, South-central PA
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:15:10 -0600, "Jackee" <not available> wrote:

I'm in Boise, they're not hardy here, could plant them out if they are dormant right close to the last spring frost date, so they can start rooting underground, but come up after it's safe. Then lift them in the fall and store indoors.
I always wanted some but they were too expensive for me to plant and probably lose in the fall when I couldn't get them dug up in time.
Janice