Bitter Cucumbers

What makes cucumbers taste bitter? What causes this in the growing process? I have had a purchased (from the grocery store) cucumber that was bitter. When I have grown them, the bitter taste happens a lot.
Stress seems to cause the bitterness; drought being a common stress. Excess heat or insect attack can also be a stress. Some varieties are naturally less prone to being bitter.
Steve