Big garden fail again.

Page 1 of 2
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.
And killed the corn.
green beans survived. on a fence.
eggplant excellent.
peppers excellent
no bug issues.
I've got worms and toads back in play.
But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.
Suggestions.
Diesel.
DogDiesel wrote:

1) Cut them or pull them out regularly
2) Apply glyphosate
3) Both
DogDiesel wrote:

eek!

:) yay!

are these the kind that are an annual as seeds and have come back each year since then or are these a wild variety perennial variety or ?
songbird

They come back every year for about 20 years now. I got them from horse manure from horses eating in open fields.,
They're purple and white flowers.
I guess wild.
I weed sprayed them numerous times up to about 5 or six years ago.
I've mowed there and let grass grow for years.
They never went away.
Soon as I start gardening, they come back with a vengeance.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.none says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolvulus
says...

Bingo, I got four different color ones. The bind weed, the dwarf , and two others .
Diesel.

They even took over my mulch bin. I cant see it.
But a scrap tomato plant is growing there , I threw in there last year. and the tomatoes are awesome.

You have to pull them up or spray them before they set seeds. The earlier the better. Earlier is also easier to pull up. And never turn them under.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Yes, well, they been turned under numerous times.
What really killed it this year is I got sick for three weeks and let it go.
I could of done a better job.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.none says...

Do you mean ipomoea, calystegia or convolvulus arvensis, or a combination of all three? (morning glory, false bindweed, field bindweed)(know your enemy))
We have all three but we -like- morning glories.
With mowing, weed whacking and weeding along with keeping a number of garden thugs where we neither weed, weed whack or mow, all three convolvulus types stay under relatively good control. ---YMMV, but we feel no need to use glyphosate as David suggested and morning glories on the rabbit fence around the vegetable garden impresses neighbours and garden tourists.
Inventiveness, diligent weeding and preventing the vines from scattering seed matters.
There is a reserve of dormant seed in the soil ...and arvensis seed can germinate after 28 years in the soil.
---That would be right after you've used a toxin, think your garden is free and clear, and believe you don't have to keep weeding.

Morning glories make great cut flowers. Drape a vine off a shelf and it adds another dimension to your space. Very Japanese tea aesthetic.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.wordnik.com /
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net says...

Maybe so, but arvensis, is a tough persistent perennial and the worst of the lot in our zone 5 climate. It's the weed we work hardest on.
I figure that if you don't know the enemy you wind up in one kind of trouble or another either working too hard or not hard enough.

I've got four different colors , now that I got this reference. white bindweed , the dwarf tri color one. a purple one . pinkish one,
Diesel.

I found an orange one at a friends place yesterday. The blossom is smaller but bright orange. I was tempted to look for seed but the leaves and vining habit warned me away. Isn't sweet potato in the same family? Steve

North to the 48th parallel I can attest to. My wide got some to grow for the first time on her arbor this year.
Convolvulaceae, the vines of the serpent. AKA ololiuqui, a hallucinogenic. Its reportedly the shaman's LSD used to consult with the Oracle or the devil depending on who you consult.

North to the 48th parallel I can attest to. My wide got some to grow for the first time on her arbor this year.
Convolvulaceae, the vines of the serpent. AKA ololiuqui, a hallucinogenic. Its reportedly the shaman's LSD used to consult with the Oracle or the devil depending on who you consult.
Awesome....

I grow sweet potatoes here in WNC. Last year's giant was almost 9 pounds, not large as sweet potatoes go, but a respectable one for the mountains.

Just a bit southwest, closer to Asheville actually.
Steve Peek wrote: ...

i lived in Asheville for a few weeks and ended up renting a place just over the hills near Elizabethton, TN. visited Asheville a few times and always enjoyed my times there.
songbird

Asheville is unusual, a liberal boat in a sea of conservatism.