Best online source for seeds?

I don't get any seed catalogs, since I usually get them locally.

But, how would be a good source for seeds online?

Thanks

Martin

Reply to
Martin Riddle

One theory goes like this. Buy seeds from a company that grows plants that is similar to your climate. Tomatoes that are grown let's say in the southwest may not be well adapted for an area in the northeast. If you live in the northeast buy seeds from a company in the northeast.

I think, also a problem, is a lot of seed companies are growing plants in hot houses and grow well in those conditions and when seed go directly into the ground may not do so well.

Seed buying is a little like gambling. If you find seeds did not grow well, find a different company. Hybrid seeds that are mass produced may grow better for most areas, but you may not be able to seed save for the next season. Best bet is buy local.

Reply to
Nad R

Johnny's and Territorial have a great variety of seed available. Tomato Growers Supply has a good selection of tomato and peppers seeds. Pinetree Gardens has lots of unusual plants.

(Pinetree)

I am sure that the other posters will have other suggestions.

Shipping is the big "got you" when ordering by mail. I start looking for seeds and keep track of the all the companies that carry each one. That way I am able to minimize the number of shipments.

Reply to
The Cook

Shameless plug, if you are more seriously obsessed:

They have a retail catalog, and if you join the organization, you'll get the annual yearbook, which has a huge assortment of seeds available from other members. You get a better rate if you're a "listed member," i.e. have something in the yearbook yourself.

I like Johnny's a lot....the founder Rob Johnston was at the Seed Saver's annual convention last summer.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

Johnny's charges $6.95 for shipping and handling, Nichols charges $3.95, and Seed Savers $4.

Reply to
Billy

If you're interested in heirloom seeds, we've had great luck with seeds from Baker Creek

Southern Ontario, Canada. AgCanada Zone 5b

43º 17' 26.75" North 80º 13' 29.46" West
Reply to
Ross

`Someone mentioned Pinetree. Their prices are very good as they sell small quantities. They are slow to ship though so order early.

Reply to
Bobo

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Johnnys just charged me $3.95 for seeds.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Last year I bought flats from a greenhouse local. And all the plants were stupendous. There must be some truth to buy plants in your region.

Reply to
DogDiesel

You'll have to tell me how to did it.

SubTotal: $26.95 Regular Shipping: $6.95 Tax: $0.00 Total: $33.90

Reply to
Billy

Order Amount Shipping cost

$0.01 - $10.00 $3.95 $10.01 - $30.00 $6.95

Check the shipping page for the rest of the charges.

Reply to
The Cook

All purchases were for $10 -$30 but Nichols charged $3.95, and Seed Savers $4.

Reply to
Billy

I know I'm coming late to this thread but, I have to say we've had great luck with seeds from Baker Creek

have many hundreds of varieties of open-pollinated, and non-GMO seeds. Their shipping charge is a flat rate of $3.00 for US orders, no matter what size the order. The $3.00 per order also applies to us here in Canada unless a quantity of heavy seeds like beans, peas, corn, etc. are ordered.

Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. AgCanada Zone 5b