Best mix for tomatoes in pots?

I am in a rent house so I want to grow my tomatoes in pots. I have tried growing individual tomato plants in 6 gal. pots with Miracle Gro, but had poor results. Just a few puny fruit produced.

Your pot is too small. And try Medina Hastagro.
--
Peace! Om

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of societies understanding."

It is probably not the soil mix. Tomatoes need sun and heat. I tried one year to grow some in the greenhouse during the winter. Wasn't worth it. I probably paid 10 times in electricity than I would have for tomatoes. Inside on a window sill does not do it.
Did you add any fertilizer after the plants got started? Patio type tomatoes work best in pots. The variety "Patio" does fairly well in pots. I also had OK results last summer with "Window Box Roma."
--
Susan N.

Cherry tomatoes do quite well in pots and there are many available that are specific to such growing. Look for ones with "patio" in the name.
You can grow full size tomatoes in larger tubs, though, and I do it every year. Look for containers that are at least 20 inches.
Boron
Celebrity Bush and a big pot.

I grow "Sweet 100's" or similar in big tubs. Patio tomatoes give you hardly any crop while the sweet 100's will give you hundreds per plant if pot is properly situated and watered. Jim in So. Calif.