Basil

Hi all,
I've been harvesting my basil leaves and have made a couple of basil dishes with them. I made Chicken Basil (Thai) and Shrimp Basil Pasta. Sooo good.
I read that I need to keep picking off the flowers to keep them producing leaves. I was wondering if I let one of my plants flower out and the seeds fall on the ground (I'm moving one from pot to the ground) will they come back next year on their own from these seeds or will I have to some how save the seeds? I live in DC USA, zone 6 I believe.
Thanks, Wil

Mine don't come back. I have to save the seeds or keep cutting over the winter in my greenhouse.

OK, thanks for that Marie. I'll save the seeds because out these basils are very nice, good taste great arroma and succulent leaves. Much better than tha Thai basils that I used to buy from the Asian stores.
How do I go about saving the seeds? Do I wait for the flower to dry up on the plants and bag them? What's the procedure?
Thanks, WIl

OK, thanks for that Marie. I'll save the seeds because out these basils are very nice, good taste great arroma and succulent leaves. Much better than tha Thai basils that I used to buy from the Asian stores.
How do I go about saving the seeds? Do I wait for the flower to dry up on the plants and bag them? What's the procedure?
------- That's what I do. The seeds are small and black like coleus seeds. They germinate well in spring in sterile seed-starting soil. Keep them very warm and on a sunny windowsill. We have an 8X16' hobby greenhouse where we start all our plants. You can also take a cutting and keep it over the winter in a south window.

.
I'll try to save some seeds and maybe even bring in a couple of plants when it gets cold. I hav my basils in containers still.
Thanks for the pointers.
I think it might be easier to save cuttings. They root in water easily.
On Jul 24, 4:31am, "Laura from MomsRetro.com"

Hmm, I tried that with my spring onion and lemongrass and they are doing well. I didn't know that basils do that too. Cool, I'll have to try that.
Thanks, Wil
Wil wrote:

You saved lemon grass? I'd like to keep mine overwinter, but I wasn't sure how. I'll try it.