attack of the summer zucchini

Anybody else out there running out of good ideas for preparing zucchini?
Check out the zucchini page of Kitchen Gardeners International, a new nonprofit organization that promotes a closer connection between people and their food: www.kitchengardeners.org/zucchini.html
On 11 Sep 2003 12:58:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@belgacom.net (rdoiron) wrote:

This may be totally unbelievable, but we really don't have an excess of zucchini this year. I planted ONE zucchini plant...I also planted one yellow crookneck squash plant, and one pattypan squash plant.
We have a HUGE excess of pattypan squash. The plant is large enough to eat Cleveland - easily. :) It wouldn't even burp.
It swallowed up the zucchini plant and the yellow crookneck squash plant - they're now lost in the depths of the pattypan squash plant. There are zucchinis and yellow crooknecks in there somewhere, but we can't get to them. Hehehe.
The principle's the same though: pattypan can be used for whatever zucchini can be used for.
Pat
rdoiron wrote:

A friend prepared a large zucchini by hollowing it out. Then he cooked in a wok some minced zucchini, crab meat and lemon juice. He refilled the hollowed out zucchini, poured lemon-butter over it and broiled it till heated. I prefer sausage, shallot & a bit of bread crumbs and broiling till the provolone is melted-but that's just me.
<< Anybody else out there running out of good ideas for preparing zucchini? >>
I steam them, broil them, stir fry them, stuff them, grill them, It's in my hamburgers, meatballs, and meatloafs, my tuna salad and garden salads, I think there is even zucchini in my toothpaste. I also make good neighbors with my zucchini. If your tired or them give them away. People will love you for it. I thank G-d for the abundance and I think its a sin to do anything else.
Jack
On 15 Sep 2003 21:37:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Jack1000) wrote:

Our pattypan squash plant finally succeeded in entirely swallowing up both the zucchini plant and the yellow summer squash plant. The pattypan plant is a MONSTER! :)
So, we're not getting either zucchini or summer squash any more: they're probably in there somewhere, in the depths of the gigantic pattypan plant, but we can't get to them or even see them.
We *are* getting dozens and dozens of pattypan squash.
My husband just returned from a trip around the neighborhood, ringing doorbells and giving them away! This is literally true, that's exactly what he did until he had given them all away. :)
Pat
snipped-for-privacy@belgacom.net (rdoiron) wrote in message

Zucchini can just go crazy can't they? I heard a good tip, shred them and then freeze them as you can then use them in lots of recipes such as meatballs, sauces, soups or even cakes (yep, you can make chocolate zucchini cake, or sweet or savoury zucchini breads). Also freeze chunks for soups/stews, but this takes up room in freezer and they go a bit mushy, but still ok. Stuff them with just about anything, from a chili bean mix to a tuna stuffing to the good old sausage meat/herb stuffing. Small ones are excellent shreded or thinly sliced in salads. Try sauteeing with garlic, butter and a bit of cream at teh end (not very "lite"). I had kilos of them this summer and only one went bad before I used it. Hope this helps!
anna_and_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Adrienne) wrote:

Thanks to all the great ideas I have seen here, I have been finely shredding a lot of my zucchinis and freezing it in one cup portions. I measure out a cup and then dump it into english muffin pans, flattening it for easier storage. I then freeze them and then vacuum seal them with the Tilia. They look like thick latkes. :) Sunday I made an eggplant parmesan. Into my sauce I dumped two cups of finely shredded zucchini and my family just raved about the sauce. Amazing. I will definitely add it to meat balls and maybe meat loaf too. Next year we will be planting a lot more zucchini.