apple question ......

Page 2 of 2
Steve wrote:

We rarely see that low a tempature all winter. Thanks
sherwindu wrote:

I understand that. Thanks, anyway. kate

says...

Check here:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/apple/apple.html
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-sm1.html
http://www.sunset.com/sunset/web/Sponsors/Garden/sunsetmonrovia_r1/html files/zone_map5.html
Mind the wrap.
I grow Anna, Ein Shemer, and Pink Ladys. I'm in USDA Zone 10B/Sunset Zone 23. You're probably too far south to grow Gravensteins.
        Bill
Bill wrote:

I believe you are right. Thank you anyway, Kate

Kate wrote:

Kate, looks like you are convinced, but just in case: I have always had my best results with fruit trees/vines that are at least one zone inside of their declared range limits. Marginal situations almost never work. I failed with peaches and pawpaws, being at the northern edge. My american persimmon is a mediocre tree, and the Concord grape and hardy kiwis do not produce much. On the other hand, my chestnuts, jostaberries, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries and pears produce without much care. One other thing I really love, and you can grow very easily, is melons of all stripes (green, yellow, orange, cantaloupe, charentais) and watermelons. The latter are easier than the former. you still have more choice than most of us.
simy1 wrote:

The farmer's grow fields and fields of all kinds of melons here. I have a couple of blackberries, already started. Thinking about grapes. HAven't decided where to put them as yet. The freeze got both my papaya trees that were big enough to produce , last year. I am not fond of them nor is my husband. We were always pawning them off on people. I love growing things. I most likely will one day try that apple . But will wait on a wetter year . Thanks so much for the thoughts and offer for help. hugs, Kate