Anybody here grow medlars?

I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody?
Em Be careful what you wish for....
: I would like to plant a couple of trees. Anybody? : : Em
Yes.
We planted ours last year and it is doing well, with about a dozen fruit on it. Being the first crop I cannot tell you what they are like from experience, maybe if you ask again in March (maybe April not sure) I can say.
From reading, they are like a pungent, spicy apple. To some an acquired taste, to others a delicacy. They must be very ripe (preferably on the tree) before being consumed. This process is called bleting. I have always wanted to blet my medlars!
David
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:28:57 GMT, "David Hare-Scott"

Very cool! We are planting a small orchard and I definitely want to put a couple of trees in. Thanks for the input, I'll check back in March or maybe April to see how they taste.
Em ----- When in trouble or in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout.
Auntie Em Wrote:

todayto J. Tweedie Fruit Trees , Maryfield Road Nurseries nea Terregles,Dumfries DG2 9TH. Medlars are listed in his fascinating pric list
-- Rustic