Advice for Complete Novice

Last year I managed to successfully grow some very nice chillies in a pot on the kitchen window ledge. Having managed to grow something from seed that I could actually eat gave me the bug, so much so that this year I've already planted 3 types of chilli, a variety of peppers, mini cucumbers and both yellow and red cherry tomatoes suitable for hanging baskets.
Unfortunately, with my garden undergoing major reconstruction, I'm having to grow in either hanging baskets, tubs or pots.
I am also looking to grow some peas and if possible strawberries and blueberries but the advice I'm looking for now is:
a) Do tomatoes in hanging baskets require protection from birds, etc.? b) What is the best way to protect fruit in pots from birds and insects?
Thanks in advance...
--
JonnyBeBad

JonnyBeBad wrote:

The style that you grow them in makes no difference, if you have frugivorous birds in the area they will eat your tomatoes and berries. The simplest protection is bird net. It is a synthetic mesh about 1 1/2 to 2 cm across, usually white, available in a variety of widths. You should be able to buy it at any decent nursery. Try to stand it off the plants somewhat with string or sticks or the enterprising birds will snack through the mesh.
Insects are another matter, it depends on what they are. The above mesh can be of *some* use as it keeps out moths and butterflies but it doesn't keep out smaller types.
David
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote: > ;953363']JonnyBeBad wrote:-

> frugivorous

> across,

> buy

> can

> keep

Thanks David, That's great advice. I'm guessing I shouldn't have any trouble with birds attacking my chillies!
Here's to a fruitful Summer!
--
JonnyBeBad

JonnyBeBad wrote:

Don't bet on it. Some birds have fireproof mouths. I had an acquaintance who had caged birds who fed them chillis and they seemd to like it.

Amen

I grow Habeneros and can tell you only humans are dumb enough to eat hot peppers. Ten years ago I ringed my neighbors garden with them and garlic. He had the best harvest ever!

Birds are immune to capsaicin. -- There was some other reason he had the best harvest ever. eg. colder winter, better rain, fewer birds, fewer bugs, better soil conditions, more attention to the garden, etc.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net says...

Groundhogs around here consider capsicum on cabbage a tasty seasoning.