Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Squash bugs
Hi, I have insects eating the leaves from my squash. Have only tried manually s quishing them, but that is very labour intensive, but if I miss a couple of days, the leaves are destroyed. I would like...

Garlic stems turning yellow
Hi everyone. Im hoping someone can help me. I planted garlicfor the first time last fall. They did good until the stems started turning yellow and some have yellow streaks going through the stems, the...
2
2

carrot and radish tops
Hi All, Before planting, I dig radish and carrots greens from store bought organic produce. Now that my little garden is in full swing, I am not going to be digging anything under. Is there any reason...
8
8

Liquid cow manure fertilizer
Rather then spread the manure over the soil around the vegetable, I now put a couple of trowel fulls of manure in an old kitchen bin, add a foot of water and leave it for the manure to dissolve into...

holes!
y.w. :) we had a large enough hailstorm come through last night to do some damage to various plants so i get to see plant trauma response in action again. i'm sure some of the squash leaves will...
5
5

critters not fritters
i needed a catchy title... :) it makes a lot of difference when the live trap is actually working correctly. and having the bait that the critters can't resist. the past few days we've relocated three...

drum brakes, different spring? ('04 Cavalier)
('04 Cavalier, rear brakes) Instead of the since-God-was-a-boy hold-down spring/pin/cup system, these brakes have a single large, sort of 'W' shaped spring, spanning the two shoes, and passing over a...
2
2

Nitrogen 101?
Our county offers compost. ($20 for 6 yards.) They've had it analyzed, The reported nitrogen value seems quite high (2% by dry weight). However, our retail soil tester, says the N is quite low....
2
2

odd tasks
today i went out and rinsed off the plants. we'd had a pretty heavy downpour the other day and the plants were almost all covered in dirt (both the tops and bottoms of the leaves). some of the...
4
4

First garlic harvest
Well , I got some now , how do I prep it for storage and store it ? Cool dry place , I figure , but I'm not sure how to dry it for storage .
21
21

Winter tomatoes grown under lights...
.. will remain just a dream for me it seems. Once upon a time in another life I grew certain medicinal herbs under artificial light (and subsequently got sent to prison for it). Back then the accepted...
17
17

AARRGHHHH ! TSWV !
Finally figured out - with the help of a couple of knowledgeable local folks - that my tomatoes have tomato spotted wilt virus . Nasty little bugs called thrips are the vector , and the key is to...
8
8

Advice sought: broccoli heading out too soon
Two years now, most broccoli plants have headed out very early, giving 2" to 4" heads. In the past, with same or similar soil and manure, we've flourishing plants that yield 12" to 14" heads. Climate...
9
9

Weeds finally gone
At least for I picked 2 yellow zucchinis and 1 green. Sauteed them with some onion, garlic and oregano. All from the garden. Yummy. Can't wait for some more. Looks lie a couple of more weeks before we...
1
1

Bio-char questions
I often end up with a pile of charcoal from burning brush piles . I'd like to incorporate some of it into the soil in the wife's rose garden and into my food garden . How fine does it need to be ? Are...
5
5