Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Black irregular dry spots on my courgette leaves.
Hello forum. This is my frist post and first attempt at growing anything. Myself and my girlfriend have decided to grow some indoor veg and herbs. We went for a bunch herbs, like flat leaf parsley,...
2
2

pine mycelium benefits
Not living in a pine forest we always added what pine needles we could muster. Recently ( the last 10 years that has increased a lot ). I sort of have belief that a mix of life is better than a narrow...
6
6

ant Lions, eastern Tiger(s) swallowtail and Slugs
Seems the modus operation is recognize damage find the culprits and dispatch them. Lets assume for a moment all this critters have a purpose. Some like weak plants and some like decaying mater. So in...
1
1

Salad stuff
I want to start growing my own salad stuff, and perhaps a few veggies, in one of those plastic small sort of small greenhouse. Is it too late in the year. I have never grown this sort of thing before...
10
10

acidify soil after planting blueberries?
I planted 6 blueberry plants today, in a hedge along the south side of my house. My experience with blueberries comes from planting a couple of plants back in the middle 80's. Both died, because our...
8
8

Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ?
My Niagra grape vine is doing very well this year and has put out a decent quantity of bunches. The fruit are already 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter. A friend told me that I should cut all fruiting vines...
4
4

Review: LED lights
So this year I had a some extra cash, and the metal halide light I had been using for lo, these many years was due for a new bulb. The time was ripe for a radical change. I'd always been unhappy with...
15
15

Preparing a vegetable patch
Hello, i have recently removed a pond in our back garden. I would like to fill it in a then use the area as a fruit/vegetable patch. Can anybody give me some advice on what to fill hole in with to...
1
1

Of hybrids and heirlooms
A recent thread on heirloom tomatoes showed that there is quite some confusion about this subject. Also there is a tendency to take up positions on the topic that are not necessarily supported by...
3
3

My addiction
I have decided that I am addicted to purchasing seeds, mostly vegetable. I just got my order from Pinetree Seeds, none of which I "really needed." Most of them just looked very interesting. And their...
10
10

Anyone Growing Persimons?
My wife bought a few fruit trees by catalogue this spring, the kind that arrive about 3-4 feet long with bare roots bundled in moist packing of some sort. Everything grew well, putting forth leaves...

Keeping sweet potatos
I find myself with about 40 kg (90lbs) of sweet potatoes, these are the white-fleshed ipomoea sort. Last year I tried to keep them in a cool dry place in the shed through winter but they didn't last....
12
12

Anyone growing PawPaws?
They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.
13
13

growing squash with few bees
A while back I was trying to identify whether I had cucumbers or melons. Looking at the growing plant now, I'm thinking it must be squash, it's not vining and the leaves are getting big. (shared seeds...
7
7

soil/mix for container vegetables?
I'm going to do just a few veggies in containers; patio tomato, some herbs, maybe some green beans in one, lettuces/chard. So, I noticed they have some "Organic" soil at the stores for vegetables, for...
11
11