What size screws to hold a loo down?

Hi,

I'm off tomorrow to refix an elderly relative's loo to the floor. It sounds like mild steel screws were used and they have rusted out.

Any idea what size a typical loo needs? It would be easier to get them on the way. ISTR that they need to be about 75mm long but needed to be very thin.

Stainless steel presumably?

Reply to
Palindrome

Or brass, usually 2" or 2 1/2" No. 10s

John

Reply to
John

I have got a similar job to do as my pan is screwed to the floorboards but is a bit loose. The reason it is loose is because although I used brass screws I didn't want to tighten them too much against the ceramic in case it cracked at the base. I have looked before but never been able to track down any suitable plastic seatings which I guess should be nylon or similar. The ideal solution would be a plastic cup washer with a snap on cap but where do you get them from?!!

Reply to
AJH

The plastic cup washers with the snap on cap is what I used, I can't remember where I got them from but they seemed readily available at the time. I did have a problem with one of them that seemed to distort when tightened, so the cap kept springing off, I tried supergluing the cap on, but even that failed, so I filled the cup with white frame sealant and levelled it off, not had any problem since.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

These?

If so I got a pack only a couple of weeks ago from Homebase, but I am sure any shed will have them, usually in packs of 100, but a local hardware shop might sell you a smaller qty.

HTH

John

Reply to
John