What happens when the canister explodes ?

Hope this gives someone a laugh despite my mishap.
I have cavity wall insulation and this morning I decided to use a professional expanding foam gun to put some expanding foam into the cavity before I put a brick in and then rendered over it.
All was going well until suddenly, without any warning whatsoever, I presume because of the pressure in the canister, the gun exploded and foam started squirting everywhere. Although I was prepared with thin plastic gloves for the job I was dong, this was no match for the amount of foam.
I managed to get my finger over the canister nozzle, but I could not hold it for long due to the pressure. I finally stuffed the canister into a mound of earth nozzle first.
Oh what a mess. I certainly got more insulation than I had bargained for.
However, with the foam all over the place and on my hands, I could not clench my hands as my fingers kept sticking together. The wife was out also so I had to fend for myself.
Without the proper spray that you clean these guns with, how would you suggest cleaning your hands ?
I tried hot water. Cold water. Washing up liquid. Isopropanol, finishing up with moisturising cream. The latter seems to have done the best job of all I just have a really greasy look to the palms of my hands now.
Jim
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:52:04 +0100, the_constructor wrote:

Vegetable oil. Like it says on the tin... but I guess that was covered in foam by then and illegible. B-) It's not an instant removal but does lift it off.
I've only used foam once and also found that that it sticks instantly to unprotected skin. Next time I use foam I'll apply vegitable oil first and still wear gloves...
--
Cheers
Dave.

the_constructor wrote:

BTDTGTTS - only once... Me, the garden, the house, and the neighbours' house and garden ended up covered in small white pellets of the stuff. I was well popular.
Acetone (proper nail-varnish remover) works reasonably well as a solvent
David
the_constructor wrote:

BTDTGTTS - only once... Me, the garden, the house, and the neighbours' house and garden ended up covered in small white pellets of the stuff. I was well popular.
Acetone (proper nail-varnish remover) works reasonably well as a solvent
David
On Aug 23, 11:52 am, "the_constructor"

white spirit whilst foam wet
Jim K
On 23/08/2010 11:52, the_constructor wrote:

If its still wet, nail varnish remove (acetone) - that is what the cleaner cans are mostly composed of. If its dry, hard luck, get used to it for the next few days! It will shift with abrasion over time (pumice stone perhaps)
--
Cheers,

John.

I'd head straight for the Swarfega.
--
Mike Barnes

On 23/08/2010 11:52, the_constructor wrote:

Probably the best would be what I think every DIYer should have in his shed, and that's cellulose thinners. Dissolves almost anything that water won't. But get it in 5 litre cans for a little over 10, rather than the very expensive way Halfords sell it.
Rob Graham

From ... ?
(I've just about run out. Some question for isopropyl alcohol, too, I've only a splash of that left.)
(Answers own question; Automotive paint supplier?)
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 16th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3176
Open are the double doors of the horizon, unlock'd are its bolts
On 23/08/2010 14:27, Huge wrote:

Yes, but I also find that motor factors (or, at least, one near me) sell it.

You can get Isopropyl or Isopropanol as some call it from your local chemist for about 5 for 500mL
On 23/08/2010 17:21, the_constructor wrote:

and:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N 01495
--
Cheers,

John.

Old but still funny.
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html#foam

I just knew that one would come out to play again. Still funny after all these years.
On 23 Aug,

I had a similar (but smaller) incident recently when I dropped a part used cannister, and it landed on the valve, jamming it partly open. I found cellulose thinners worked on the uncured foam on my hands.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply