what boiler do i have????????

I am looking to replace my gas powered boiler in my kitchen for a new one ( new kitchen being fitted ) but what type is it? All it does it works from a basic mechanical timer and comes on twice a day to heat my hot water and all my radiators ( these have indivual valves on ) I dont think its a combi boiler because i think these switch on when you call for hot water? right ? Should i get a combi boiler? would they be cheaper to run?
so many basic questions, anybody point me in the right direction of a basic web site to explain the different types of domestic heating systems......
any help much appreciated....
Daz
Ellesmere Port U.K

from a previous poster http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk /
has enough info i think to help.
i have no plumbing experience so others may have some input.
Mark

Have a look at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/plumbingpage1.html
For what it is worth any new system would be cheaper to run than the system you currently have. A combi may be cheaper to run than a conventional system but the quality of the hot supply is not usually brilliant (ie slow flow rate)
Adam
Cheers guys, some really useful info on those sites, just had a plumber around for a quote on replaceing conventional boiler. He said i must replace it with a condensing one due to new regs. I have read up on this somewhere so just waiting for the price. Take about 1 day to fit he said. cheers Daz