Wasps Nest

Yes, they kill/eat most of the harmful garden insects. Wasps are also pollinators of many plants.

I would never normally get rid of a wasps nest. I've done it only a couple of times - once where a nest was a nuisance to a neighbour who is allergic to stings, and another time when they built one over my parents back door. We watched it with much interest for months as it grew, but it started dropping lots of half-dead wasps out which the cat had to step across to get in/out of the cat flap, and at that point it had to go.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Mary must be on holiday!

Reply to
newshound

I thought of Mary Fisher as I was writing that.

Her last post looks to have been 14th December to alt.support.cancer.breast which is perhaps not a promising sign.

There are a few posts from just Mary (different email address) this year which might be same person, but nothing since April.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Once you've solved this problem, it's worth thinking about whether the air-brick is blocked. I had a nest behind one air brick a while ago, treated with foam and though nothing of it. Then the boiler man came for the annual service a few years later and took a look at ventilation etc - It turned out this was the way in for the boiler air (odd system but then it's hot air, not a normal setup) and it was comprehensively sealed, buggering the balance of the boiler. It didn't take me long to fix it (cut the brick out, cleared the nest and mortared a new one in) but it could have been pretty dangerous.

Reply to
GMM

She's posted in the last week to a mailing list I subscribe to.

Reply to
<me9

That&#39;s good to know.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Last post this morning, as chirpy as ever.

Reply to
<me9

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "newshound" saying something like:

Indeed. A veterinarian friend of mine has been so stung over the years she is in real danger if she gets stung again and makes sure anyone in her company know what to do. Mind you, it makes working out in the fields a bit of a problem, but hey ho.

Quite so. I have a nest of bees about ten feet above head height as I leave my building - can&#39;t get rid, no matter how many attempts. I&#39;ve just got used to them and leave them alone, but the buggers are probably gnawing away at the timbers. If they&#39;d leave me alone it&#39;d be fine, but any time I want to drill the wall or just get up a ladder in their vicinity, they get rather aggressive. That&#39;s when I get all on their arse back.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hmmmm..... there&#39;s the meat-eating part of the year when I suppose they help to clear up little corpses. Can&#39;t remember any report anywhere, ever, of a place where people were bemoaning the lack of wasps because _____ had got out of control through lack of predation by wasps ( for instance) :-) I should google it some time.

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P

I&#39;ve never heard of or observed this here (New Zealand) but they are an introduced species here so may not have the natural niche that they do elsewhere. Likewise with this:

~ snip ~

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P

A few years ago I was up a ladder re-pointing round a wasp entry hole. The first hour was scary, but then they saw the benefits of using my chisel as a landing stage. By the end of the day we were just ignoring each other and going about our business.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

What&#39;s in Nippon powder? Is it plain permethrin or (like the liquid) mixed with something sweet to entice the ants into taking it indoors?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I&#39;ve got some here ...

Nah, it don&#39;t taste sweet.

*thud*

Ah opps, should have looked at

Talcum base, Permethrin 0.5%

Think I&#39;ll live :-)

Reply to
Adrian C

Surprisingly quick knockdown of Wasps if you can get the powder in the right place.

We have horizontal gutter board and they find their way in to the eaves through gaps between that and the wall boarding.

Homebase do Ant powder in 500g packs but squirting powder uphill does not work. The D-I-Y solution has been a short length of Bundy tube fitted to the opened out hole in the dispenser.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Wasps are only a problem for beekeepers in late summer when their normal food sources are disappearing. Robbing is minimised by reducing the hive entrance size so it&#39;s easier for the bees to defend. Strong colonies are barely affected (indeed the beekeeper removes far more honey over the season that wasps could ever do). Weak colonies are robbed just as much by bees from stronger hives, and as the colony is probably weak through varroa-mite infestation it may be no bad thing if it does die out.

It is the *old* queen that goes off with a swarm to found a new colony, leaving behind an unhatched queen cell in the original hive.

Reply to
Reentrant