URGENT Help needed please - Blown heating fuse...

Page 2 of 2

Richard Marx wrote:

I expect he means relay inside the heating controller (which would be in serise with the room stat to be able to inhibit operation of the call for heat when the heating ought ot be "off").
--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks, where do I find the 'heating controller'? Is this the same thing as the 3-port valve?
Richard Marx wrote:

No not the same as the valve.... that's called a three port valve! ;-)
Do you have some form of timer or programmer that let you choose when the heating is on, and how many times during the day?
If so, that is your controller. It may even be built into the boiler.
Often the call for heat from the stat also goes through the controller. Hence they both need to be saying "on" for anything to happen.
The final call for heat that goes to the boiler may also pass through a microswitch on the valve. It will depend on how this was wired as to if it is also at risk from damage from the short - without a full wiring diagram of how yours has been setup it i difficult to say for sure.
(I had a controller relay fail once when a rodent nibbled through a heating controller cable and cause a short!)
--
Cheers,

John.

Yep, I have a Danfoss wall timer (electric rotary type). I suspected something in there might have blown as it's the only thing left really that I can't check. I did order a new one funnily enough, a digital replacement of the same model to give me more control. If only it would arrive this morning!

The valve is also a standard 3-way Danfoss. Is this likely to have a relay too, or is the wall timer the likely culprit?
Thanks :)

Richard Marx wrote:

Both ought to be checked. The valve will probably have a switch that is actuated by the mechanism when it reaches the end of its travel.
--
Cheers,

John.

heating to switch on and off.