Uneven sockets after kitchen rewire

I've had an electrician in all weekend rewiring my kitchen prior to it being replastered. He has changed the location of some sockets at my request, but not one of them is level. Is it possible to change the position of the sockets within the mounting box to save me having to dig new holes into the wall? Having taken one of the sockets off I noticed that it appeared to be possible to change the position of the screw receiver on the left by a few mil, but probably not enough for my requirements.

I'm not really in a position to complain about poor workmanship as he's a friend of a friend who did this work quite cheaply. As everything is fine apart from this I'd prefer to quietly put it right.

Any advice appreciated!

James

Reply to
James

A small masonry drill or sharp chisel should do to remove a small amount of plaster so that you can fix the metal boxes horizontal. You will probably have to take the boxes out to make new screw holes and put wall plugs in the bricks. Refit the boxes then use filler to repair the gaps.

Reply to
DIY

They must be way-off if the lug adjustment can't handle it. Sometimes, screwing them up whilst holding firmly against a spirit level will allow them to be tightened and held in a position which is further than the lug alone will go, because there is some movement at both ends resulting from the setback from the plaster face of the lugs. If you have a row of them, sit them all on a long spirit level or piece of straight timber whilst you do up the screws so they're all in a straight line (providing the boxes near enough were in the first place). This makes an enormous difference to the perceived neatness of the job.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

With it been a Kitchen i take it you/he is aware of Part P ?

As above they can be slightly adjusted depends how much out they are.

Reply to
systemtek