Tongue & groove panneling

I did some tongue and grooving some time ago. I bought the wood and started immediately, however some of the panels shrunk back a bit as they acclimatised to the room temperature, especially around radiators etc.
How long is it advisable to keep the timber in the house at room temperature to acclimatise before fixing.
TIA Andy