Toilet Cistern - New ball joint arm too long !

Bummer or what?

Bought a complete new ball joint and arm etc to replace the old one (which was leaking) and find that the arm is too long to fit in the cistern.

Looks like the original one had a shorter arm (and, no, the old arm doesnt fit on the new unit).

Was'nt aware they came in compact sizes? Any ideas where I can get a compact version from? (Can't see any on toolstation).

Reply to
paulfoel

How about something like a Torbeck valve?

...or Fluidmaster?

?id=12780&ts=07417 Various advantages with either (Google search for previous discussions).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

I've had nothing but problems with the torbeck valves & have now replaced the innards of my cisterns with fluidmaster kits.

The kits that I used were £20 from B&Q Superstore and had a push button flush conversion, flapper valve with integral internal overflow & a fluidmaster float valve.

Bargain!!

HTH Mike

Reply to
Mike PJ

Take it back and buy a fluidmaster one instead. Much better than a ballcock; quick silent refill, firm shutoff when full, and in particular for you, no long arm and ball.

Alternatively, you could descale the old one and fit a new washer, if that's all that's wrong with it. Check the fill level too -- as they wear, it can drift upwards.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Are you sure it's not an Ideal Standard? They have smaller flush levers too - as I discovered once I'd bought a 'standard' one, and it didn't fit!!

A local plumbers merchant may be your best bet.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Fitted a Fluidmaster in the end. Very impressive...

Just a pity their a fair bit more expensive than the normal ones...

Reply to
paulfoel