Stone Work Sealing Mortar

Hello;
I am attempting to carry out a loft conversion in a terraced house, one problem is that in the attic the wall ajoining the other property is an old stone and mortar construction with a brick chimney in the middle, the chimney bricks are covered with cement.
Rather than cover the wall with plasterboard I would like to keep it as a feature however the house is 1920`s and the stone and mortar in places is rather crumbly when touched.
I need to seal it, I thought about a PVA Water mix, but that`s just me thinking out loud.
Regards
Bill Harvey
What you want is stabilising solution. Make sure it is the dry clear stuff. eg http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 511&ts109 or http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 030&ts283
Regards Gary