Spur for a shower light

Can anyone tell me if it is permitted under the regulations to take a spur from the switched side of a 40A shower supply in order to connect a shower light so that it comes on when the shower pull switch is activated. If not then can someone tell me the correct way to do it please.

Reply to
JBT

Hi JBT Before even thinking about if it,s possible think about the problems of connecting your spur. The input side must be in the same size cabling and unless your shower is close to the mains will probably be in 10mm cable. It is hard enough connecting these shower switches as it is without the adittional cabling and you would probably end up braking the backbox. If indeed MK or similar do manufacture a domestic switched fused spur rated at 40 amp you would still have to mount it in an accessable position and route the 10mm cable plus your lighting feed back to the shower area.

In short it would be a lot easier and a lot less trouble to fit a suitable pull switch at the side of the shower switch. Or consider a low voltage switching circuit attatched to the shower door.(NB. this must be totally isolated from any mains)

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

It need not be the same size if the smaller cable is mechanically protected and the earth loop reading is low enought to trip the MCB

A normal fused spur will do as it would not be taking 40 amps.

Another much better option would be to take the "out" cable from the pull/wall switch to a small CU (the loft would be an ideal place for this) and into the main switch. Use a 40 amp MCB for the shower and a 6 amp MCB for the light

Never seen this done but it would mean leaving the door open when the shower is not in use.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My barn shower just has a couple of small chrome studs half way up the shower side wall, going to a touch sensitive time switch that came from a caravan fittings supplier. It is meant to be used to switch the water pump on and off in a caravan or boat. Switch the shower on, or touch the contacts and the light comes on. When the shower dries out a little, off it goes.

It runs off a solar panel with a small battery reserve and the hot water comes from a big coil of plastic pipe built into the manure heap.

Only one hot shower a day from it ..but it saves the walk back to the house.

Yes, it's 12v.

Reply to
Palindrome

That sounds a marvel of ingenuity! And is the first "green" thing remotely worthwhile that I have heard

:)))

Reply to
EricP

Like Eric P says, ingenious. But which came first - the shower or the manure heap...? :-)))

Reply to
Martin

Do the regs say anything about this. Does anyone know if it can be done or not?

Reply to
JBT