Single sockets

Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace the 3 single sockets in my house with doubles?

I assume I can easily (and legally!) do it myself?

Why would anybody install single sockets in the first place?

Reply to
Steve Rainbird

It's easy enough, I did one of ours. I don't know about the legal side of it. I did it while the neighbours were out, seeing as it was on the wall betwen us and them, and it does involve hammering lumps out of the wall.

They're cheaper.

Steve(not you, the other one)

Reply to
shazzbat

Have a look at:

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Assuming they are set into the wall, you will need three double wall boxes and sockets.

Chisel the hole for the new boxes on either side of the old one, so the wires will still enter the new box in the same place as the old one. Remove the old boxes by bashing the box into the empty hole with an old chisel and pull it out.

The problem will be the length of the existing wires in the hole fitting into the new socket.

Alternatively, get double adapters for the single boxes and make it a few minutes work.

Reply to
EricP

Adaptors are a good idea I will look into it.

If I decide to go the original way and the wires are too short is there a way of extending them I.e some kind of connectors?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Rainbird

Just looked at adapters in B&Q. I prefer the proper ones but it does save time.

As to extending cable, not an area I know much about. I know it seems to involve a ratchet crimper and those cable crimps, but it has to be done properly.

I would remove the sockets and see how long the connections available are.

Reply to
EricP

I chiselled the hole out half either side so that the cable entry went into the same place and the cables fitted. The box which goes into the wall has multiple panels you can knock out so the cable goes in where you want.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

It,s ok as long as it is not taken of a spur

Regards

Micky.

Reply to
Sandy Savage

Are you saying an unfused spur cannot supply a double socket?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I prefer to just fit single sockets to spurs. You may know not to plug in two 13A devices, but the next person may not.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

The IEE allow double sockets on unfused spurs.

I think a little common sense applies. A double on a spur that feeds an alarm clock and light in a bedroom is not going to see 6 kW of power used. In a kitchen a double may be used for the tumble drier and dishwasher and so may use up to 26 amps. Depending upon how the spur cable is installed this may cause problems (it also may affect the design of the ring with an inbalanced load).

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth