Rough or Smooth???

I am about to lay a cushioned vinyl floor in our bathroom. I know that I need to lay a hardboard sub-floor first and the floorboards would show through. I have looked on various websites and am receiving conflicting information about whether they should be laid rough or smooth side up?
Could I have your expert opinions? If anyone can justify, it would be very helpful.
TIA
Paul
"Paul Douglas" wrote:

As far as I know it doesn't matter of no adhesive is involved. But if you are going to stick the edges down then lay the hardboard rough side up. For laying instructions: <http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/homebase/assets/ht_lay_hardboardfloor.pdf See page 2. It recommends plywood in bathrooms under vinyl tiles but you should be fine with hardboard under sheet vinyl.

to discourage the vinyl (or carpet) from slipping around. Nailing stops the hardboard sliding around or slapping when walked over, tape the seams with 2" duct tape too. You are also meant to acclimatise the boards to the room for a week before hand but I'd give it a light water spray on the rough side & make it a day
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla