Removing outer sheaf of electrical cable

Really simple question but this is something that I find difficult. Is there any reliable way of removing the outer sheaf of an electrical cable without cutting into the insulation of the inner wires? Score and pull seems to be the best way but it takes time to ensure that the insulation of the inner wires remains intact.

Paul

Reply to
pg123

If you are talking about flexible cable, then I find scoring or nibble with sharp wire cutters followed by bending to confirm the scoring all round the circumference. Then cut along the length of the unwanted section.

For rigid cable (6242Y Twin & Earth) expose the earth conductor and pull with pliers to slice open the sheath to the required depth and cut the waste off.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The sparks at work used a piece of wood with the correct size and shape of hole in it and a sharp screw in from the side; this could strip FT&E v. quickly with no risk of dammage. I use a knife with an extensible blade set to about not-a-lot and very carefully slit along the centre of FT&E. Flex is more awkward but small, flush side-cutters do the job: cut along then peel back and trim round.

Reply to
PeterC