removing kitchen tiles

before our new kitchen arrives, I have to remove the tiles. Trouble is, trying to get them off is messing up the plasterboard underneath them - is there a way or a tip to getting tiles off a plasterboard wall, without damaging the plasterboard?

Phil

Reply to
Phil

How are you taking them off?

When I used to do such jobs I usually managed to get a paint scraper or broadknife behind the tile and twist or lever - thus lifting the tile off the cement.

As a matter of interest, no-matter how hard you try, some damage will occur and will need repair.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Ask in uk.d-i-y :)

(done for you)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

4" paint scraper and a hammer
Reply to
stuart noble

I doubt if you will get them all off nice and neatly maybe better to rip out the tiles attached to the plasterboard and get some new platerboard.

Reply to
ss

If the adhesive was put on with a combed spreader, they should come off neatly.

Reply to
stuart noble

Agreed, it may take some of the paper off though but that is usually fairly easy to sort out - especially if retiling.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I'd use my Bosch PMF

[g]

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

My tiler found it impossible to remove my old tiles especially those around the window. He went to his van and brought out some old tiles, retiled my kitchen with them then tiled on top. They are still there 10 years later. I wish though I had the tidy corner strip as I have in my bathroom because on the corners that face out the grout is quite thick but it has remained white and probably I am the only one that notices it.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk