RCD tripping ?

I have a private water supply which is pumped up to my house. Very occasionally the RCD trips and I usually just rest it. However it now trips almost every day and although I reset it I am concerned to know what is causing this to happen. Can anyone suggest how I can detect where the fault lies and what is causing it to happen Blair
On 08/10/2010 06:32, bm wrote:

Could well be the RCD itself.

If the RCD only feeds the pump then you need to be looking at a failing pump or some damage to the cable that powers the pump.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=RCD#Nuisance_trips
is worth a read.
--
Adam

On 08/10/2010 15:45, ARWadsworth wrote:

IME a damaged cable would probably result in permanent tripping not occasional.

Many thanks for your advice, I have copied the report and will now study the contents Mosy likely dampness in the connection box Blair

Sounds like a job for the WD40.
--
Adam

ARWadsworth wrote:

can we?????? Penteratating fluid or 3 in 1 oil might be better abused for this job - lol Bob

Blair

it trips the RCD when switched OFF at the controlling light-type switch. Some years ago I isolated the problem to the pump by removing it and other things (garden lights and another pump) from the circuit, and then got the supplier to change the pump... same result! I have just lived with it ever since - a visit to the garage every time the fountain is switched off. It never trips in use, only when turned off.
Chris R