RCD tripping ?

I have a private water supply which is pumped up to my house. Very occasionally the RCD trips and I usually just rest it. However it now trips almost every day and although I reset it I am concerned to know what is causing this to happen. Can anyone suggest how I can detect where the fault lies and what is causing it to happen Blair

Reply to
bm

Could well be the RCD itself.

Reply to
Keith P

If the RCD only feeds the pump then you need to be looking at a failing pump or some damage to the cable that powers the pump.

is worth a read.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

IME a damaged cable would probably result in permanent tripping not occasional.

Reply to
Keith P

Many thanks for your advice, I have copied the report and will now study the contents Mosy likely dampness in the connection box Blair

Reply to
bm

Sounds like a job for the WD40.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Surely not! We can't have people using WD40 for what it is designed for can we?????? Penteratating fluid or 3 in 1 oil might be better abused for this job - lol Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I have a similar problem with a garden fountain pump. About 50% of the time it trips the RCD when switched OFF at the controlling light-type switch. Some years ago I isolated the problem to the pump by removing it and other things (garden lights and another pump) from the circuit, and then got the supplier to change the pump... same result! I have just lived with it ever since - a visit to the garage every time the fountain is switched off. It never trips in use, only when turned off.

Chris R

Reply to
Chris R

I tied WD40 but still tripping Blair