Power supply for LCD screen

Hi all,
I've picked up an LCD TV off Ebay which was short of a PSU. I had a spare one hence why I took the plunge.
The TV needs a 12v dc input and the label on the back states 4.17A. The supply I have was 3.3A, so maybe the TV wasn't such a good buy...
But the manual I've found for it claims max power consumption is 40W.....which happens to match the max output of the 3.3A supply.
The TV does work with the supply but the transformer does get quite warm to the touch.
Am I taking a gamble continuing to run the TV off a supply with a lesser ampage rating ? What would die first ? the telly or the transformer ? ......or if both items claim to be 40 watts max output/input then I am worrying over nothing ?? Thx
Toxteth O'Grady wrote:

The answer is to measure the actual current drawn. If it is within spec, fine. If not, use a different supply. In case of doubt, use a different supply.
There are loads of 12v supplies that will do the job - practically any PC supply, for a start.
The odds are that the power unit will die first. But it is a gamble.
--
Sue

Toxteth O'Grady wrote:

Have a look at this group sci.electronics.repair for load of info on TV's etc
Toxteth O'Grady wrote:

The supply will probably be ok, but if it isn't up to the job then it will simply fail - and is very unlikely to harm the TV in doing so. Finding a higher-rated and inexpensive 12V PSU should be a simple matter though.
"Finding a higher-rated and inexpensive 12V PSU should be a simple matter though."
I've seen some on Ebay but it would be ~25 quid by the time P&P was covered. I saw another poster recommending a PC PSU but its too messy/ ugly and there another fan noise to contend with.
So any recommendations on where I can find an 'inexpensive' ~5A PSU ?
Toxteth O'Grady wrote:

Maplin do something suitable, again that is 25, so Ebay is probably your best bet. With a little patience you will get something there for a lot less than 25.