Power requirements for air-con

Page 2 of 2

Got it confirmed that it's a similar model to those I listed but couldn't find it on the Mitsubishi website. This is the beast.
http://www.climatezone.co.uk/Mitsubishi_wall_mounted_heat_pump.html
I may well stick a separate feed in for it.
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Midge.
writes:

Midge wrote:

Interesting bits:
Fuse Rating (BS88) - HRC (A)     16 Starting Current (A)     27 Running Current (A) - Heating / Cooling     4.34 / 4.65
There's another 40W for the indoor unit, but I think that can be ignored...
Andy
Thanks Andy - it's looking like the starting current is a (very large) typo, and should be somewhere around 5-6 amps. This is line with other similar units on the Mitsubishi web site.
Midge.

Starting current is very believable for an induction motor compressor. If mine tries to start with a locked rotor (as happens with compressors if they try starting too soon after they switched off and there's still a pressure differnce across them), it draws over 4kW (limit of my power meter), but not for long enough to blow the 13A fuse before it realises, and then it waits a bit before trying again.
--
Andrew Gabriel
The starting current figure isn't always shown on the specs I've found - but where it is, there is further evidence to support the 27A startup figure (much lower figure given by my air-con fitter over the phone) so looks like you're right Andrew.

Midge wrote:

My understanding is that the rating is mostly to control heating of the cable - which tends to be hidden away where you wouldn't see it.
Andy