Plumbing problems!

I have just moved house and my dishwasher and washing machine (both cold fill only) are plumbed into the same water supply. The two hoses are connected with a Y connector.

Last week while the washing machine was on water was gushing out of the Y connector which had split. I duly bought a new Y connector and all was well until today when the Y connector split again so I can't use either appliance.

Can anyone suggest a remedy to this problem or do I need a qualified plumber.

I had more or less the same set-up at my other house except that the washing machine was hot and cold fill and never had these problems. The water hose on the new dishwasher is a rigid hose while my old dishwasher had the same hose as the washing machine. I am wondering whether I may have a water pressure problem.

Poppy

Reply to
Poppy

Can you get at the (presumably copper) cold water pipe? If so, consider fitting an additional outlet on the pipe. You can buy outlets that are dead easy for anyone to fit and don't even need the water turning off. A very, very simple DIY job. They clamp around the pipe and then you turn one part of it to make the connection - all without spilling a drop.

It does sound like either very bad luck or very high water pressure.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

If you have bought the Y connectors from the same place, take them back and tell them of the problem because it must be the connectors that are faulty. If the water pressure was high enough to split a Y connector, it would also split the flexible hose, because the Y connectors should be stronger than the hose..

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Yes that is easily accessible.

If so, consider

Thanks very much that may be an idea worth trying.

Reply to
Poppy

Yes I did buy the Y connectors from the same place. I was wondering whether I could buy a brass Y connector instead of the ordinary plastic ones.

Reply to
Poppy

As Harry wrote, they shouldn't fail like that. I've never heard of it before and I know loads of people that use them. I've never seen a brass one.

I've known plenty that leak - the strain of two fairly still hoses pulling, via the Y adapter, on the connection point is a bit much, IMHO. Hence the suggestion of adding another outlet.

It is possible to produce an alternative solution, without altering the existing plumbing. You could buy an extra hose and connect that to the outlet. Buy an extra (eg compression) outlet and connect that to the other end of the hose. Connect a short length of pipe to that outlet and put two outlets on that - one at the end of the pipe and one at the middle. Bingo, two outlets and loads of hose length to pull the machines right out to clean behind them, without having to disconnect anything. Great for when you have stacked appliances.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

I have never seen a brass one, or found the need for one, the plastic ones should easily stand mains water pressure without splitting. Where did you buy the Y adaptors from, was it a national chain, or just a small shop? If their Y adaptors are failing, I am sure that they would want to know, as they could be liable for any resulting damage caused by such a fault. Are you sure it was a split in the plastic, and not due to a missing or incorrectly fitted rubber washer, either in the end of the hoses, or between the Y connector and the incoming water supply?

Reply to
Harry Stottle

I bought them from Dyas, the washers looked OK and the hoses are fine. I think that you may be right that the Y connectors are faulty, I shall return them tomorrow.

I have put a new Y connector on so I can only keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again.

Thank you for your input.

Poppy

Reply to
Poppy

i have, but can't remember where i saw them.

Could easily be a split, i bought a waste trap from a plumbing type place a few years ago, fitted it and after a week of use noticed it dumped half the water that went down it onto the floor,

looked at it and where it had been molded, the mold line was very very weak, and almost see-through where it haddnt split already, prolly from a worn die,

took it back and looked at hte others on the shelf, and they were all the same, see throguh line where the mold line should be.

seems those traps were from china, and had been made for half a penny each most likely, hence quality controll was non existant,

but i'd go with the others suggestions, put another outlet on the copper pipe, that way you can isolate each machine in turn if the need arises.

Reply to
Gazz