Planning drawings help

I need to get some drawings done to enable me to apply for planning permission including buildings control permission, however the quotes I have received for what is a fairly simple extension onto the house, have ranged from 1000 to 4000 !! Anyone have any ideas of a better way to get this done, ?
Try looking for a building surveyor that does working drawings, see your local press/yellow pages/yell.co.uk.