Painting question

We have a nice brown stained hallway staircase ...thinking about painting it all white but realise the work involved with the handrailing and all those spindles! Any advice welcome :-)

try here http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/index.php

Cool site, reg, thanks!
I have a similar staircase/landing set in my relatively modern house - horrible mahogany varnish stained (along with everything else !!! :-( ) which I wanted white. This was five years ago, and I did it the hard way, sanding down to give the surface a "key" then undercoat and gloss.
I used the sheen-finish gloss, and I have found it to be not very durable, so I would recommend a good quality polyurethane - and I've even considered adding some heavy-duty varnish in places - this is an area likely to get knocked all the time, and it shows.
Someone more recently suggested, after sanding down, to apply a coat of PVA first, but I don't know whether this would make a difference?
Anyway, I just did it a bit at a time and it took me weeks! But it looks loads better.
I'm absolutely sure I was a total doofuss and someone will have a better idea .... good luck.
Barb