Painting an interior Block wall.

Hi
I have a workshop being built with an modern insulating Block interior wall.
It has a very rough finish which I don't minb as the pointing is spot on, it's solid and when painted a Dark Sand colour will be great..
However when I look at Masonary paint the cheap stuff is either White or Magnolia, not for me. Or if I find the colour I like it cost a foutune and Is "Strechy, Ice proof and fully waterproof" which I don't need inside and did I mention it cost a lot.
Would using some kind of Emulsion be Ok to use on bare blockwork ?
Thanks for reading this post
Chris
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Don't you need a sealer-undercoat first? OK so that's white as a rule but never mind. Why can't you paint over it with anything you darn well like? Unless the sealer-undercoat tin has "suitable for oil-based" or water based top coat only.
If by emulsion you mean whitewash, kalsomine, something like that - don't. When you or a later owner decide to paint over it oh dear, what a shocking rigmarole, believe me you don't want to know, you'd only have nightmares.
A L P
The are universal sealers that are cheap and OK for interior masonary, The come in white. This is irritating as I want a Blue Grey finish which the Block is anyway
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:40:10 +0000, busacustom wrote:

=============================================== Buy plain white masonry paint and a tube of paint pigment. I think the pigment is made by 'Rentokil'.
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
If its a workshop environment, I'd personally stick with white - it will brighten the room up and reflect light....
Worth remembering
Thanks Chris
Cicero wrote:

You'll only achieve a rather pastel shade tinting into white masonry paint which will have a good white solids content. Deep colours need to be tinted from a coloured base and these are always more expensive whether you buy them tinted from the shop or tint your own. Try haunting the paint shops for tins of mis-tints, it may take a while till you find enough paint of compatible colours (e.g. greens, yellows & blues = = some kind of green) that you can mix together to make up the quantity you need.
And Midge makes a good point about a workshop being most useful if it's a light environment to work in, unless you want to use dozens of electric lights to eliminate dim corners where tools and small items disappear into the gloom and you can't find them when you need them.
A L P
I will try my local paint shop
Thanks
Chris
I will look into this
Thanks Chris
Hi
Found the Manufactures Spec sheet but can't find a supplier.
Can you Help ?
Chris
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 07:32:34 +0000, CobaltHayabusa wrote:

================================================ I used to buy mine at Focus (or Manders in Wolverhampton) but it should be available at most decorating shops if it's still made.
The address on the packaging is:
Rentokil Initial UK ltd., Felcourt, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 2JY
Tel. 01342 833022
There's no Email address given so a quick 'phone call might be worthwhile.
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
On 22/04/2010 11:40, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Just read this:
Johnstone's Covaplus Vinyl Matt emulsion is formulated for interior use on walls and ceilings. It provides a durable finish that is resistant to fading and yellowing.
Key Benefits o Produces a wipeable finish o Excellent opacity o Excellent colour retention
Colours Over 15,000 colours are available via the Johnstone’s 32k tinting system
Pack Size o 1L o 2.5L o 5L o 10L
Substrate o Wood o Metal o Plaster o Wallboards o Concrete o Cement rendering o Brickwork o Blockwork
<http://www.johnstonestrade.com/product-range/product.aspx?product=Covaplus_Vinyl_Matt
Seems to answer your needs in terms of colour, usage (i.e. interior), pack size and substrate compatibility. And I'd expect any decent emulsion to have similar capabilities.
(As always, I happen to work for a non-paint part of the company that owns Johnstones paint, but other paints may be available.)
--
Rod

Wow, definatly worth looking at
Thanks Chris