Painting a Fence

What suggestions do people have on painting a closed board wooden fence with concrete posts and plinths.
I was hoping to come up with a quick and easy method such as spraying, but don't want coloured posts and plinths. I can raise the panels and cover the plinths with a polythene sheet, but this doesn't protect the posts. Is brushing the stuff in really that much more difficult than spraying or rollering? Also what's the best product to use, both for application and price (I want a chocolate brown finish)?
TIA Brian
"Brianb" wrote:

To protect the concrete posts you could try holding a large sheet of hardboard, say 2 x 6ft, against the fence where it is slotted into the concrete posts, to mask the post from the spray. Even if you brush the preservative onto the part of the fence near the posts you will still have to mask the posts because in my experience you get quite a bit of drift when using a spray. Brushing isn't more difficult, it just takes longer than spraying and you don't have the drift problem. I would use a brush for the fence top anyway. I sprayed my shed with B and Q's own brand of shed and fence preservative last summer, dark brown, and it dried to a chocolate brown finish. Any dark brown preservative should do. It was about 10GBP for 5 litres.
"DIY" <secret> wrote in message

and spraying it as required then slot it back in?
Richard