Paint priming??

Have moved into a house with loads of the old imitation wood finish the stuff that looks like varnish...Do I have to scrape the lot off before I paint it or can I use aluminium primer to seal it..I renenber the painters at work use that primer instead of knotting so thought it might be used as a blinder for my wood grain..
Ted Wager G3TPI