old consumer unit / fusebox

Hi I've just moved house - so decided to fit a shower - when I look at the consumer unit its an old tin box thing with BI Callender stamped on it. obviously in time it looks as though the unit needs upgrading somewhat. But for now I'd like to just do with it, it has two spare fuses left so why not use it. My friends a plumber and I normally have enough knowledge to wire up, but I'm not familiar with this consumer unit. All in all they all do the same job. Does anybody have any instructions ideas, Ive attached a photo in pdf format so you have no problems opening
SB

With all due respect, wiring up a shower circuit isn't a beginner's task. I would suggest having a new CU fitted alongside the old one, have the shower connected to it, and then at your leasure you can test and move or rewire the existing circuits from the old one to the new one.
I didn't know BI Callender Cables ever made CU's, although they made a lot of the electricity company's accessories such as cable terminations, service connector blocks, head-end fuse blocks, etc.
Usenet doesn't carry binaries. You need to upload your picture to a website and post a link to it.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some parts of usenet do carry binaries. Not this one though.
Try photobucket for free image hosting.
Andy
http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/MARKBLACK_2010 /

Given the age I suggest you should be thinking about replacing it - and that is a job for a professional by the looks of it.
Also - I may be wrong and get well flamed here - but I think under the Part P wiring regulations any wiring involving bathrooms or kitchens MUST be done by a pro, it certainly has to be checked by one (or by the Local Authority) which could cost you nearly as much as having it done by one.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Whats the going rate to change one of these units?????????? Plus would it require a rewire????? if the box is old the wiring wont be new.
SB

Hi As already posted get a new unit. I haven't seen one of these old BICC boxes for years but I do remember they are open plan (i.e. bare bus bars inside) with porcelain fuse carriers rated 5-15 & 30a Also the whole thing was only rated at 60a or even 45a IIR. For your own safety please don't try and wire a shower into it get an approved sparky to fit a new board for your shower or as posted a new consumer unit. One consolation may be the weigh in value of the copper bus-bars in the old unit(hehe) CJ