No hot water following tap repair.. Please Help

Hi, can anyone help? Yesterday I tried fixing a leaky hot water tap in the bathroom of my purpose-built split-level 1960's maisonette (part of larger block). As far as I can tell, there's a single cold water mains valve in the kitchen that feeds the system consisting of a cold water storage tank upstairs (in my neighbours' loft to which I do not have direct access), all the taps and an immersion tank downstairs (which is electric, as I do not have a gas boiler).

So having done some reading on the web, I decided to turn the immersion tank off, shut down the water main, run all the taps and drain the system down in order to fix the tap. (for some reason the cold water upstairs and the hot water tap in the kitchen downstairs continued running at a sort of 1/5th of what I would call "normal' pressure, ie. not exactly "dripping" but "running" even though the mains water was shut down!) Mystified, I proceeded to service the hot water tap upstairs which luckily was dry.

Having fixed everything, I turned the mains water back on. After a while cold water started running upstairs as expected, but all hot water taps continued to be dry. I left them open, thinking maybe there's trapped air that needs to be released etc... Nothing happened. Normally water runs from these taps (regardless of whether the cylinder is heating water or not), but now I have no water coming out at all. Am I missing a trick here? Is the hot water cylinder supposed to be re-filled in some particular way? Any help greatly appreciated.

Bart.

Reply to
Korgi

Hi Korgi,

Are you sure you share a tank in the loft? If you do have such a piping configuration, then you should, under regulation, also have some means of local isolating stop valve in your apartment You should have to rely on access to a neighbours home to turn off a water supply, or anything else for that matter. That's number one on your next things to find out about. :-)

If, as I suspect may be the case by your description, you have a mains fed Hot Water System in your apartment. When it was closed off and drained to carry out the repair, then the Hot Water Cylinder has now become Air Locked. I might be wrong on this but, looking at the Hot Water Cylinder, can you see a pipe standing out the top with some form of valve. These websites may give you more clues on this

to check for.

If I am wrong on this, then you may have to access the loft area to see if the tank has been choked with debris.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Many thanks, I've discovered it was actually an airlock and used the hosepipe from my washing machine to cure the problem.

Reply to
Korgi

Good news. Glad it's fixed.

Reply to