NICEIC and minor electrical works question

I had a replacement combi boiler and the new mains connection was done by a non NICEIC registered electrician. In the "description of minor works" box he wrote "Connect to new boiler from existing su/spur". My question is: can non NICEIC electricians legally do this type of work?
clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

"Repairs, replacements and maintenance" activities don't require Building Control Department approval. So, yes, he can legally do this type of work.
-- Sue
On 14 Nov,

Corgis can (should be) be certified..... to do the minor electrics associated with heating systems.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Thing is that the electrics associated with a heating system is sometimes anything but 'minor works' to make a workmanlike job of. Possibly the most complicated part of the wiring in the average house. Not safety wise if it's properly protected by an FCU, of course.

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:13:17 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave

Indeed. My control centre consists of two four slot gridswitch plates with a variety of switches, indicator lamps and FCUs, four cord outlets, another three slot gridswitch plate with a switch, indicator lamp and FCU, two controllers, plus an amount of mini-trunking. At the boiler there are two more cord outlets, one with three core and earth cables plus eight indicator lamps. This lot is/will be joined with a variety of cables, including a six core and earth cable.
While that is much more complicated than the typical heating system there may well be a lot of work in heating systems these days. Radio and some sort of data bus may do away with some of this in time, as it has done in other applications, but I think that for at least several years ever more complicated heating systems will be wired using ever more cable.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:13:17 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Some are qualified to do electrical works, rather less are to be trusted until you know they can do the job. There are so many ways that heating controls are mis-wired I'm surprised that half of them work.

If however this is just a combi swap, and the programmer and thermostats are already in place to meet the part L regs then I would not even want to issue a minor works certificate for reconnecting a few wires. I would take a earth loop reading at the boiler, advise the customer about any main or supplementary bonding that needs doing and be done with it.
Adam
At the risk of being shot down in flames by a Sparky (I hope so because i can stop paying out for similar ridiculus work myself when changing boilers). the answer to your question as i understand the PArt P /IEE reg is NO, the work cannot be carried out by a non-registered Sparky without it being inspected by BCO.
Richard
www.fullflow-plumbing.co.uk

fullflow plumbing wrote:

If you are simply connecting the boiler to an existing spur / socket, then you can do that yourself without BCO / part P scheme membership (regardless of location).
If you need to install more than that and the boiler is in a kitchen or special location, or you need new control wiring then it would fall under part P. In which case joining the CORGI scheme would probably be the most cost effective way of doing this for a gas fitter.
--
Cheers,

John.