new electrics regulations

Read at our local DIY store that any major electrical work (i.e. re-wire) must either be carried out by electrician or you must advise the local planning council about your work
Does this mean I can do it mysefl provided the council are happy with my work ?
plus.... If I was to get some of the old colour cables I could get away with doing it this year as its so close to the start of the regulations and claim it was done last year ?
--
Vass

You are refering to part P of the building regs.

Yes. You should be able to ask a Building Control Officer to inspect your work (for a fee)

You could do a rewire in 2010 using the old colours and claim it was done before Part P.
But
The new colours were first allowed/introduced on 1st April 2004 whereas Part P came into force on 1st January 2005. The work could have been done in above time period quite legally without a BCO notification using the new colours. No one can prove the rewire was not done in this time slot as long as the CU and cables have no date stamped on them.
Adam
PS From 1st April 2004 to 1st April 2006 you can use either new or old colours. From April 2006 you should only use the new colours.

Many thanks Adam Very comprehensiive
--
Vass

Just bought some 10mm shower cable at half price from Homebase (old colours) so thats OK according to your statement above :-)
--
Vass

wrote in message

got a link?
TIA Steve
wrote in message

HTH
http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/cablecolfaq.cfm
Adam
wrote in message

Yes, you can use either of the colours until April 2006. I presume you are going the DIY route pretending the job was pre part P.
Adam
Basically yes to all your assumptions. Make sure the date coding printed along the "old" colour wiring your using is dated prior to the new Regs coming into force...
Richard

Richard posted:

<Private Walker> 'Ere 'Guv. You lookin' for 30 amp? </Private Walker>