my very first DIY: how to paint walls?

Hi,

As our first venture into DIY we want to try re-painting. We have absolutely NO CLUE...Could anyone give me any pointers?

The walls all have loads of nails/pin holes from the previous tenants, and some have screw holes.

What can/do I wash the walls with, or do I just paint over the top?

What type of filler/putty do I use to fill the walls? Do I have to sand afterwards? (If so, do I need an electric sander?)

Where is the best place to buy paint? (I'm in North London)

thanks for any help at all, J

Reply to
JJ

You'll find all you need here for DIYing

The3rd Earl Of Derby