my very first DIY: how to paint walls?

Hi,
As our first venture into DIY we want to try re-painting. We have absolutely NO CLUE...Could anyone give me any pointers?
The walls all have loads of nails/pin holes from the previous tenants, and some have screw holes.
What can/do I wash the walls with, or do I just paint over the top?
What type of filler/putty do I use to fill the walls? Do I have to sand afterwards? (If so, do I need an electric sander?)
Where is the best place to buy paint? (I'm in North London)
thanks for any help at all, J
JJ wrote:

You'll find all you need here for DIYing
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/contents.htm
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite