Mold Advice Please

Hi There has been some mold appearing on the plaster walls in the corner of a bedroom in my flat. When I decorated the place I saw coatings on the corners of the rooms which looked like they'd previously been treated for dampness. All corners have been fine except for one of them. Grey or black mold spores are growing there and slowly multiplying. Would the solution be to wipe it off and treat the plastered wall with anti-mold paint, then paint over it with emulsion? Thank you for any advice given in reply.

Reply to
Okilee Dokilee

you have to sort out the exterior cause of your mould problem first. Just painting over it wont help. In the meantime, spray some bleach on it to kill the spores. jan

Reply to
jan

What you suggest may delay the return of the mold but may not prevent it because the source of the damp hasn't been identified. A periodic wipe with an anti-fungal solution will prevent mold re-growth but may discolour the paint finish. If you want to cure the problem you need to look for external and internal sources of moisture. Regarding internal sources, moisture from the bathroom, kitchen and breathing will condense on cold surfaces if ventilation is limited, especially in corners. As it is a bedroom that is affected, each person breaths out about half a litre of water (as water vapour) each night; if ventilation is limited then this moisture will condense out, especially during cold weather.

Phil Anthropist