Loft Insulation (I think)

Just popped into the loft yesterday to see what needs to be done insulation wise. The house is old (about 100 years) its an end terraced to give you an idea. The insuation at present almost looks like (to me anyway) large balls of dirty cotton wool.
What is the best method to add new insulation? Should I attempt to remove the existing insualtion or just lay new insulation over the old? I plan to board over the insualtion at a future date.
Any tips, websites or guidance would be grately appreciated
Craig
If you google for loft insulation grants you may find 'The Heat Project' or similar for your area is still running their scheme for free/reduced rate loft and cavity wall insulation.
You should have 11 inches!
If you don't have 11 inches it can be topped up to make it so.
You don't need to be on any benefits to benefit from a grant so before you spend anything - check it out.
They'll even do the work for you.
sarah
The gas board are doing grant assisted schemes at present. I'm getting mine done in a couple of weeks. 120 sq metres for 450 for 250mm. They are also upgrading the insulation on the miles of pipework in the loft,
regards,
David

I don't think i'm eligible. I 've done a google search but to no avail
I live in the Sandwell area of the west midlands if this helps
craig

If you get your power and gas from one provider, they are duty bound under the legislation to offer you discounts on energy saving measures such as insulation, low energy light bulbs etc.
Al