life of PVC (water pipe) glue?

I have a house built about 1990. I noticed some water damage under the kitchen sink. There seemed to be damp streaks down the p-trap, so I thought it was the rubber seals. I got a set of o-rings from hardware store and replaced them. The old rings were hard and leaking, but later found there was another leak: where the elbow was glued. So I would like to know - do these glued joints fail after a few decades? I also have them in the bathroom and laundry.

Reply to
Orson Cart

Not meaning to be a smart arse - but in your case yes. I also find that emptying boiling water into the sink drain tens to stress the joints and the rubber compression joints can 'walk apart'.

Reply to
Chewbacca

"Orson Cart" wrote in news:4d1e95df$ snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

PVC waste does not use glue to hold the joints together but uses a solvent.

The solvent disolves the PVC pipe and joint socket and welds the two together.

A well made joint cannot pull apart or leak.

It is easy to make a poor solvent weld joint though!

Cut the pipe bace to where you can put in a socket (coupler) and renew back from there.

Make sure all pipe ends and joint sockets are clean before applying the solvent and give a twist or two to disribute the solvent evenly.

Heliotrope Smith