life of PVC (water pipe) glue?

I have a house built about 1990. I noticed some water damage under the kitchen sink. There seemed to be damp streaks down the p-trap, so I thought it was the rubber seals. I got a set of o-rings from hardware store and replaced them. The old rings were hard and leaking, but later found there was another leak: where the elbow was glued. So I would like to know - do these glued joints fail after a few decades? I also have them in the bathroom and laundry.
On 01/01/2011 02:47, Orson Cart wrote:

I also find that emptying boiling water into the sink drain tens to stress the joints and the rubber compression joints can 'walk apart'.