Laying Wooden Floors

Hi, I'm planning to lay wood (or possibly laminate wood) flooring in our house. The problem is the ground floor has a concrete subfloor. What is the best way to do this? Should I attach them to batons on the concrete or directly to the concrete? And what material will I need to put directly between the floorboards and the concrete?

Thanks

lsd

Reply to
lsd

Wooden or laminate flooring are known as floating floors - because they are not actually fixed to the subfloor underneath in any way. The only consideration when laying on a concrete subfloor is that you first need to lay a damp-proof vapour barrier. Then you use whatever underlay you choose - but the felt boards are the best. Good luck Graham

Reply to
GTS

I found a good value underlay with built in damp proof barrier at -

Once the underlays down you can just "float" the flooring on top, so no need for extra glue or nails.

Hope that helps

Billy

Reply to
Billythekid123

I've tried this type of underlay - wasn't very impressed. It's only 2mm thick and does not have as good a sound and 'feel' as the feltboard underlay - I would still recommend a separate damp membrane and feltboard (wickes is cheap for feltboard) Graham

Reply to
GTS

Excellent. Thanks for these. Think I'll go with the felt and DPC underlays as a big concern is the dead sound you can get in some rooms from the flooring/underlay.

Get the f**k out to reply. lsd

Reply to
lsd