Laying paving stone

What should paving stones be laid on? Just sand or a mixture of sand and cement? If the latter, in what proportions?

Reply to
Frederick Williams

In my case I made sure the substrate was really firm (is yours?). Then I put the flags on top of 10:1 sand/cement. The only reason for the cement, really, was to stop the sand wandering, especially at the edges, because there was no strength in that mix. But it's been fine for 10 years or more, and with vehicles over it.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

In my case I made sure the substrate was really firm (is yours?). Then I put the flags on top of 10:1 sand/cement. The only reason for the cement, really, was to stop the sand wandering, especially at the edges, because there was no strength in that mix. But it's been fine for 10 years or more, and with vehicles over it.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

The recommended method is about 5 parts of sand to 1 of cement, providing the ground under the slabs is nice and firm. The mortar mix should not be too wet otherwise the slabs will float and be difficult to fix level or sloping.

Reply to
DIY

If it's not on here, it's not worth knowing:

Davey

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Frederick Williams