Laying paving stone

What should paving stones be laid on? Just sand or a mixture of sand and cement? If the latter, in what proportions?
--
Which of the seven heavens / Was responsible her smile /
Wouldn\'t be sure but attested / That, whoever it was, a god /
Frederick Williams wrote:

In my case I made sure the substrate was really firm (is yours?). Then I put the flags on top of 10:1 sand/cement. The only reason for the cement, really, was to stop the sand wandering, especially at the edges, because there was no strength in that mix. But it's been fine for 10 years or more, and with vehicles over it.
Rob Graham
Frederick Williams wrote:

In my case I made sure the substrate was really firm (is yours?). Then I put the flags on top of 10:1 sand/cement. The only reason for the cement, really, was to stop the sand wandering, especially at the edges, because there was no strength in that mix. But it's been fine for 10 years or more, and with vehicles over it.
Rob Graham
"Frederick Williams" wrote:

The recommended method is about 5 parts of sand to 1 of cement, providing the ground under the slabs is nice and firm. The mortar mix should not be too wet otherwise the slabs will float and be difficult to fix level or sloping.
Frederick Williams wrote:

If it's not on here, it's not worth knowing:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
Frederick Williams wrote:

Thanks for the replies.