How to stop me slipping on my decking??

Just bought a new house and the old owners nailed some chicken wire to the section walked on to get to our back door. I wonder if there is a better looking solution to prevent slipping? It is just a smallish area about six feet long?
Ken wrote:

Visit your local yacht chandlers, and get some non-slip tape.
Or else varnish the area, and scatter sand on it (traditional approach) or sugar (new fangled way I've never tried). You could even buy some non-slip deck paint.
Andy

Thanks for the reply. I will look in the chandlers.
Ken

If you use sand, get kiln dried sand, this is very fine
Colin

How sugar works. This may be a long shot but I remember seeing (on the telly) the way that Hawaiian surfboard makers get a non slip finish. In the wet resin they sprinkle sugar. Resin sets, sugar dissolves in water, leaving grain-sized sharp-edged 'craters' rather than lumps of material. Worked for bare feet on a surfboard but may not be as durable on a deck.
From http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t !3752
Baz
Baz wrote:

I have this vision of little craters full of sanded-off skin festering away.
Sand has been around for ... well decades at least.
BTW the floor of my dinghy was done with white epoxy undercoat by the builder. It's got a bit tatty in spots now, from dings over the decade I've had the boat!
Andy