How to find path of water pipe into house

Apart from having to dig the garden up (which is near enough impossible due to being totally frozen after recent -20C temperatures), is there any way to try to identify the path of the incoming mains into my house? I have been under the floor to where it comes into the kitchen but it just disappears into a conduit under the foundations (straight down and to the rear of the house). We have had no water for 4 days and Scottish Water have still not attended. As we are the only house affected, they are trying to say it's in our property but due to recent supply problems (including a frozen external pressure reductions valve being frozen) and this just being temporarily fixed 2 days before we lost water, we are suspicious. I have been under the floor and there is no water in the foundations. I have no idea of the path of the mains across our property but as the pipe goes out the back and the mains from Scottish Water is at the front, it could go either way. Added to this, there is a patio directly outside the kitchen! Just to also add, the likeliest route across would be around 15m long and from the edge of my property there is about 20m of Scottish Water pipe work to the connection for our house so around 70% of the distance is Scottish Water responsibility.
Anyone help with suggestions (polite ones only please as I am not in the best of moods as well as being slightly "ripe" as washing doesn't get everywhere!)
--
Ian

On 27/12/2010 15:37, Ian wrote:

You said 'I have been under the floor to where it comes into the kitchen but it just disappears into a conduit under the foundations' so is it possible that it is very cold under your floor and this bit of pipe has frozen?

It is possible but the temperature on Christmas eve, when we lost water, was much higher than the previous week or so (i.e. around -5C as opposed to -20C a few nights before) and we were in all day with heating on and using water during the day and the water went off in the evening when temperature was just getting colder. As stated, the fact that Scottish Water performed a temporary repair to increase the mains pressure just 2 days before is suspicious. Will just have to wait till they get here (now 4 days without water) and see what they say!

There is always a stop cock outside the property. This will be on the footpath outside your house under a small grid. You will need a tool to get to the valve as they are always just out of arms reach; however a length of wood with a V cut into the end will open and close the valve - its just a tap. Maybe it's been turned off???????????? Worth a look.
Mr Pounder

On 28/12/2010 14:36, Mr Pounder wrote:

Just remembered, my brother lost his water after water company had been messing with the pipes. Turns out they had dislodged a load of scale which completely blocked the mesh strainer on the water meter in the street. They unscrewed the water meter, ran some water to flush out some more scale, cleaned the mesh - Total repair time 10 mins.
[Default] On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:36:43 -0000, a certain chimpanzee,
keyboard and wrote:

Not always. My mother's house, a victorian terraced, has a shared incoming main under about five houses' front gardens. She has a stopcock under the kitchen sink, but nothing between the main and an outside toilet in the yard.
--
Hugo Nebula
randomly hit the

Then if she don't pay the water bill, how do United Utilities turn her water off?
Mr Pounder

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:37:46 +0000, Ian wrote:

If you are still having problems try turning your stop cock on and off several times. We had a similar problem a while ago when a meter was replaced and silt had got into the supply. After 2 03 full on/off turns the water began to flow again (albeit distinctly murky!)
--
David