How much to charge ?

Im not a builder by trade but have done all my house and know various trades, totally gutted my house, built extensoin etc.

Next door neighbour wants thier bathroom re doing,

Approx 6ft square, wants all tiling ripped off, new bath, toilet, sink, shower screen and over bath shower, new ceramic tiled floor and new titling to 4 walls

He's called five builders, one turned up and said they'd get back to him and he hasnt heard anything in two weeks, two didnt turn up at all and one said he cant do it till Feb next year!!

Approx what should i charge him for the job ?

Reply to
me

£200 per day plus materials.
Reply to
Bob Minchin

I'd now never agree to pay by the day. I once asked a 'friend' who was down on his luck to decorate our house and agreed a price per day and he took forever. Cost me a small fortune and ruined our friendship. In the long run it would have been cheaper getting the professionals in.

What you need to do is work out how much you could do the job for ... and whether it's going to be a profit making venture or if it's going to be a cover the costs for a friendly neighbour venture. Then give a fixed amount for the job ... you say you've done all your own house so you should be able to have a really good idea what's involved.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Agreed Ash, always get a quotation (not an estimate) for the job (materials AND labour) and then ensure that you add around 10% on to your budget for the job (you keep this separate from the quotation for the works in your own account) to pay for any *unforeseen* problems that *MAY* arise during the works - and *ALWAYS* ensure that any scaffolding, trench shoring and rubbish removal is included in that quote.

And *NEVER* pay more than around a 15% deposit, nor pay for the job *BEFORE* it's finished [1](unless it is a long job, and then you agree with the builder to give monthly payments up to the valuation of works done to the end of that month [including the costs or unforeseen works).

[1] No matter what reason given by the builder as to why you should.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Probably quite a good way of estimating a quote though.. My builder quoted me £900 for a similar job where provided the tiles sanitary ware and fittings, he provided the adhesives.. It took about 4 and a half working days.. He did a fine job and we split the discount as the items were delivered to his trade account.. It was all completed within seven days. Michael .

Reply to
Michael Shergold

Thanks for the messages, he more than happy to pay me and me make a profit, he just wants someone to do the job and do what they say they are going to!

He will be getting his ownbath, shower, toilet, tiles etc so itss just the physical work i'll be charging him for plus maybe picking up the bath and goods

Reply to
me

I agree. I meant work out the price based on £200 per day plus materials Then go fixed price against a detailed quote. sorry if I mislead the op

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It'll end in tears. Get some liability insurance and cover your ass and your friendship.

Reply to
Davey