How high can a consumer unit be installed?

New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?
clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

This really only applies to new builds and comes from Part M of the building regs (accessibility for the disabled etc) and is not directly related to the wiring regs. For an existing property the usual rule of thumb is to make it no worse than it was originally.

Common sense suggests that placing it somewhere where it can be reached easily in the dark[1] without the need to stand on anything to reach it is a good idea. 2.3m may be getting a bit high for this to be true.
[1] Always worth fitting a non maintained emergency light near the CU powered from the local lighting circuit anyway.
--
Cheers,

John.

When did this rule come to be? Mine is considerably higher, whilst not a new build it was completely re-wired 2 or 3 years ago.
Fred wrote:

The oldest version of part M I can see is 1999.
--
Cheers,

John.

That's interesting - so much for new rules being observed by accredited electricians!
Many thanks.
Fred wrote:

Part M applies to when the house was built - not the place re-wired. If the house pre-dates part M there are sure to be any number of ways in which it does not comply (things like a step over the front door threshold rather than the completely flat path through that lets the rain in as favoured these days).
Hence the odd non compliance during re-wiring is not going to alter the overall compliance of the house IYSWIM.
--
Cheers,

John.

Fred wrote:

My house built 2000regs, has the consumer unit up agaisnt the ceiling. The BCO didn't bat an eyelid: I assume that he felt that CU's fall outside disabled regs.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well, there's no restriction on ceiling height, except for above staircases :-)
Owain
In article

If you're changing from a fuse to MCB unit, I'd make sure it is within reach of the occupants, as the lighting MCBs will likely trip each time a bulb blows - unlike fuses.
--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It helps to use type C MCBs on lighting circuits. However if you are fond of mains halogens then they won't help much (I have seen them take out re-wireable fuses)
--
Cheers,

John.

Not here it doesn't. ;-)

I've got quite a few but never had a fuse blow. Luck, obviously.
--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was not suggesting that a type C won't trip - just it should do it less often than a type B.
(I have type C ones here and still get the occasional trip)

Possibly, having said that there are factors beyond your control that will have some effect, like your supply impedance.
--
Cheers,

John.