Hot water temperature

Had gas engineer in this week and he had to replace hot water motorised valve.Before he left he said he had set thermostat at 55*C.I have always had this a good bit higher,nearer 70* I think.There are only two of us in house and the 55* seems ok for showers,dishwashing ,etc,so have I been wasting money?Is there an economical max temp.for H/W system??I would be interested to know what others think.
tab

had
house
interested
I think 55C is a "safe" hot temperature, so you're not likely to scald yourself and sue his employers. (Am I being too cynical?) I have a choice of hot water temps. Most of the time around 50-55C from my gas fired CH system, and 60-65C when I use the electric immersion heater for the more difficult kitchen cleaning jobs.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

60 degrees will kill the Legionella bacteria. If you are worried about scalding then fit thermostatic mixer valves at your sinks etc
Adam

Thanks for replies.I think I will leave it at 55* just now.I find it OK and wife has not complained, yet!!